www.crapelvis.com

I made an impulse buy of a $30 Elvis suit 3 weeks before leaving Australia in Jan 2008 to travel for a year.
It's crap....and now it's coming with me.
I don't sound like Elvis, look like Elvis, or sing like Elvis.
I am Crap Elvis.

crapelvis@gmail.com


World trip montage - Crap Elvis in 25 countries

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Crap Elvis in ruins. (and other Mexican places of interest)

Somewhere on a Carribean beach in Mexico...



After leaving Miami, which seemed to be full of partying Americans on holiday, it was on to Cancun (Mexico), which seemed to be full of partying Americans on holiday.
So wanting to blend in (as much as a man in a ridiculously bad Elvis suit can), one night was spent in one of the wildest nightclubs in the world - Cocobongo.
You know it´s been a good night when a midget dressed as Beetlejuice flying above the dance floor is one of the more normal happenings of the night.

Midget and regular size Beetlejuices and a schoolmistress above our heads at Cocobongo.
Lots of people off their heads below them.



I have to admit that before I got to Mexico, I had a cliched image of eating tacos and drinking Corona every day. So far I´ve eaten tacos and drunk Coronas every day. In fact I now realise that the word coronary is obviously derived from said drink and should really be pronounced corona-ry.
However in a bid to eat something different one evening, I asked for the specialty dish, and was told it was 'tortoise'. I was shocked (shellshocked?), as they are a protected species where I come from, but I thought I'd stick my neck out and try it anyway. I have to admit feeling a bit disappointed when I was served normal meat in a roll. Apparently I was eating 'tortas' and not 'tortoise'. Easy mistake to make.



I'd been told I had to see the ancient Maya ruins of Chichen Itza while in Mexico, so I did. And guess what? I arrived to find out they were another one of the New 7 Wonders Of The World. That's 3 of the 7 I've already seen on this trip (giant Jesus in Rio, Machu Picchu in Peru) without even trying. How easy is it to get on that list? I reckon they just ask you if your place/thing is wonderful, and if you say yes, they ask you 'how wonderful?', and then if you say 'very', you're in.

This pyramid dates back to 800AD (around the time the Rolling Stones released their first record), and is actually a stone representation of the Mayan calender. I don't think they sold as many of these at Christmas as the ones with the photos of cats in hilarious situations.


Mexico accommodation. Lucky I went for the deluxe room then.


Somewhere on a rooftop in Mexico.

No comments: