www.crapelvis.com

I made an impulse buy of a $30 Elvis suit 3 weeks before leaving Australia in Jan 2008 to travel for a year.
It's crap....and now it's coming with me.
I don't sound like Elvis, look like Elvis, or sing like Elvis.
I am Crap Elvis.

crapelvis@gmail.com


World trip montage - Crap Elvis in 25 countries

Friday, May 2, 2008

Crap Elvis in Peru - islands that shouldn't be there and food that shouldn't be eaten

I know what you're thinking - the perfect guinea pig would be served medium rare.




A few days spent at one of the best place names to ever be uttered by a geography teacher - Lake Titicaca. No, really, it's still funny.
Photos below are of the manmade floating islands of Uros in the Peruvian part of the Lake (it's massive, and is partly in Peru, partly in Bolivia).
A rare photo showing me not wearing the full white Crap Elvis suit...but fortunately the local kid had his on.
Oh yeah, and that's not a banana on my head.




The islands are made of reeds as are everything else on the island (although reed microwave ovens never really caught on). The top covering of reeds on the island has to be replaced every 15 days, as the bottom layer disintegrates. For that reason, houses like the one below are designed to be lifted up - really handy if you have an argument with your neighbour. Just pick it up and move it somewhere else.

No comments: