www.crapelvis.com

I made an impulse buy of a $30 Elvis suit 3 weeks before leaving Australia in Jan 2008 to travel for a year.
It's crap....and now it's coming with me.
I don't sound like Elvis, look like Elvis, or sing like Elvis.
I am Crap Elvis.

crapelvis@gmail.com


World trip montage - Crap Elvis in 25 countries

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Crap Elvis in Southern Chile






So back to Chile after a brief visit at the start of our trip to Easter Island (no eggs, just statues).
We'd been recommended a backpackers bus (www.pachamamabybus.com) which has 2 routes out of Santigao - one around the south of Chile, and one around the north which diverts off the normal roads to take in any strange/interesting sights.

The south included a stop at one of the best surf spots in Chile - Pichelimu. I had a great session but was surprised at how cold the water was (first time I'd seen a penguin wearing a jumper). We also went to Pucon where we didn't climb the (still active) Villarica volcano, twice. Having been fitted with all the gear (ice pick, crampons etc) the night we arrived, the next 2 mornings the climb got called off because of the weather. Despite it being a notoriously tough climb, fortunately I know in my head that I would have done it easily and would have been the quickest and bestest in our group, so it didn't really matter.

Another 2 volcanoes in Southern Chile that I didn´t climb.


After returning to Santiago, I managed to catch a really important football match between Chile's biggest team Colo Colo and Argentina's biggest team Boca Juniors (see videos in previous post) at L'estadio Monumental. It was a lot more mental than monu. More of a survival course than a football match. It was also in a very dodgy suburb and I'd caught the subway to it. However when it finished, I found the trains had stopped so I tried to ask a riot policeman how I could get back to the city centre. He asked me where I was from, and when I told him Australia, he told me to ride a Kangaroo back. I told him there was no need to be rude to someone from a different culture who had come a long way physically and mentally to be at that game, and that he could shove his baton up his Chilean arse.


Oh hang on...no I didn't...I just laughed nervously as if it was really funny and walked off and got a taxi because he had a machine gun and lots of other big policeman friends in full battle gear laughing at me
.
Silly me, I only smuggled in green fireworks.

No comments: